Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I love life in the desert!!


 2.28.13 Post:


I love to hike.  I haven't been hiking in far too long.  Lately, life has been kicking me in the ass quite significantly.  Just the usual rat race, but more of it.  I'm beginning to widdle away...sanity speaking.  So I grabbed my dog and headed out.  As I was en route, my sorta-kinda boyfriend called and decided to come with.  We met a rad older lady who was walking her horses, saw amazing rock formations, let the dogs run amuck, and just got back to nature.  It was so amazing to just breathe fresh air.  Stop to smell the roses.  Here are some of the stunning pictures we took that day:








11.20.2012 Post:


What started out as an epically shitty day, wrapped up into an evening full of awesome.  My good friend, my daughter, and myself set out to Amargosa Valley, NV.  We were headed to an arts & craft show for a local historic society.  The tale I am about to tell is unfortunately true.  However, there is always a silver lining if you look hard enough.  Thankfully, the desert had our back.

We arrived at the Amargosa Valley Opera House for the event well before anyone else did.  My usually reliable car decided to show mom the new noise she could make.  A new Power Steering Pump later and mobility is restored.

We were a day late to the event, which the coordinator was informed of well in advance.  As soon as we got there we fell in love with the amazing old buildings, the stunning architecture, the peaceful landscape. In fact, my daughter insisted we take a picture.  This is the picture before shit got real.  Notice the happy faces
:



 About 20 minutes after that, the coordinator showed up.   We will call her Dorothy....'Cuz that's her name.  Dorothy was pleasant at first, but clearly annoyed that we were a day late, and we were obviously not what she was expecting.

Now, I come from a heavy legal background.  I am used to being judged on my appearance and my age.  But I am not in the legal field anymore.  Apparently there are catty women everywhere who will immediately hate you based on your cover.  The first hour was pretty quiet, except Dorothy made sure to have us take the time so we could fill out her makeshift forms and pay our $25.00.   Our booth:



There was a couple of little boys running amuck, which my daughter was more than happy to join in on.  The children were running through the hallways of the EMPTY motel, and boy did that set off a basket of fireworks.  Dorothy took it upon herself to bicker to my friend about my daughter, never mentioning it to me herself, or speaking with the boys' mother also.

From that point forward my daughter was told (by me) to stay next to me, so i could keep an eye on her.  Any time my daughter wandered towards a booth to shop and browse (My daughter is also a junker, and had her own money to spend at this show), Dorothy made sure to be right up her ass in case she took a wrong step.  The fire inside me began to burn noticeably then.

For the next hour we sat there quietly, yakkin amongst ourselves and eating an overpriced, shitstorm inducing breakfast while the three vendors that were there gossiped about the various townies and those young tattooed girls in the next booth over.  I hate to break it to you sweetie, but those tattooed girls over there aren't half deaf, so we can hear your loud asses.  The fire in me grew and grew.
 
Then, the kicker.  A local wild mustang herd showed up for their morning feed.  My daughter and I wandered off for a second to go check them out.  My friend came up to me and informed me the hotel would let you walk to the back to take pictures.  Now, as you can see from the picture above, I have a knee brace.  I don't walk too fast, i'm sorry to be such a hassle...

The hotel clerk begrudgingly let us, the last two, to see the horses.  There was a rickety door through the gift shop that led to a adorable little area that reeked of open sewage and horse shit.  Which not to my surprise, were exactly the culprits.  There were 6-8 foot holes everywhere with open sewage doing whatever open sewage does.  But it wasn't a concern, because they had plywood over them, so don't worry kids....you'll only break half the fucking bones in your body.

So, being the horse loving fools we are, my daughter doted on them and snapped pictures of them for about 10 minutes.  We got some rad pictures too:



Now, this is when I said fuck this place.  We turn to walk back in, and of all things, the bitch locked us out!!!  That town has a population of maybe 8 on a good day.  Really lady??  She seemed to be pretty chummy with Dorothy so i'm sure she hated us too.  So my clone and I walked all the way around the motel to get back to our car and booth.  I made sure to take a piss on their back doorstep.  Yep - I'm a classy broad.  I had to go, and the bitch locked us out.  What else was I going to do?  It just so happened her porch was right there.

After walking all the way around the multiple fenced off buildings, we got back to our car.  Immediately I back my car up to the booth, and we pack like two little kids who were just told they would get ice cream and a new puppy, but not until they did the dishes.   And off we went.

Luckily, our saving grace came in the form of junk!  We pulled off to the side of the road to see what the new noise my car was making was, and off in the distance spotted a pile of rusted gems.  For the next couple of hours, we wandered through the countless piles of abandoned old trash, and found great glass pieces for our mosaics, as well as unique tins and rusted old cans.   

Protip:  Rusted cans hold acrylic paint really super duper well.

Dorothy shot me a friend request earlier today on facebook.  I get the notification on my phone, and before I could finish laughing, she revoked it.  So she clearly sucks at e-stalking someone, way to go.  Maybe she should just stick to being a bitch in person.  Leave the internet bitchiness to me :)




Here are some of the pictures I took on our journey.  At least I got some amazing shots and great junk.  The day wasn't a total loss:








 

No comments:

Post a Comment